Friday 23 August 2013

British Stereotypes


I've lived in Britain all my life and would like to clear a few things up about some of the British stereotypes flying around the world right now. I've Googled 'British Stereotypes' and am basing this post on my search results. I was so shocked at some of the things I read, I spat out my tea and dropped my crumpet on my Corgi! Sit back, grab a cuppa and a biscuit and enjoy reading this useless information!

- "All British people drink tea"


This statement is so true. You're not technically allowed into the country for more than six weeks if you don't agree to drink at least four cups of tea a day and you can't substitute them for coffee! We don't just drink tea, we use it for everything, brushing our teeth, watering plants, washing the car etc. This is also where I start to wonder about my nationality because I literally can't stand tea. I thought I was British but I'm evidently not. 

- "All British people know the Queen"


This is also very true. Everyone takes it in turns to go chill with her at her crib in London for a day. I go quite regularly because we're such good mates. See she's actually really 'swaggie'. I shouldn't say this but she tells me everything and she has like a secret second life. In the picture above, she's wearing Kim Kardashian's D&G sun glasses! Everyone also thinks that she does nothing which is such an understatement. She goes out every Friday and Saturday to clubs around London to lay down some beats. She goes by the stage name MC Liz and her slogan is "MC Liz in the Hiz". Ooops I've said too much!

- All British people have posh accents

This is so not true. We have lots of different areas in Britain and the accent changes so much. There is a part of London where a select few, speak with a good level of elocution but other than that we mainly consist of a 'chav' population, who are statistically 107% more likely to be grammatically incorrect. 

- "All British people have Bulldogs and Corgis"


This is again true. These are the only two breeds of dog that we can have in the UK. If you are lucky enough to own a dog, you have to dress it in red, white and blue clothing in the winter and a Union Jack mini skirt in the summer regardless of the dogs gender. We have a large gay dog community here that enjoy cross dressing!

Now I'm just going to refer to some stereotypes that I know exists about Britain.

- British people say "Cheerio" instead of saying "Bye"

I think this is a British thing but it's meaning has evolved over time. If you said "Cheerio" to someone 50 years ago they would say it back, now if you said it, you would be pelted with cereals that look like anorexic doughnuts.

So there you have it! A few common stereotypes about us Brits cleared up for you.

DISCLAIMER - This is obviously a piss take, we like tea but not to that extent, we don't actually all know the Queen and she's not an MC. There are more than two breeds of dog available here and it isn't compulsory to dress them in any kind of clothing. A 'Cheerio' is a brand of cereal over here but you won't get them thrown at you. We're too stingy to waste good food. However, the accent point is basically true!

I love getting your feedback and kind comments so post them below and I'll definitely get back to you very soon. 

Thank you for reading, I'll see you here and on my channel, very sooooooon!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment